Thursday, February 26, 2009

Poem of the Day- Vachel Lindsay (Audio)

http://writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x/Lindsay.html

This is a link to a site where you can download the recording of Vachel Lindsay reading his poem The Congo. Ever since my father told me that this recording existed, I've been looking for it online and I only found it today. Its one of the best sounding poems I've ever read and Lindsay really puts on a show; hollering, chanting, and singing. The quality is not great but Its a very old recording. It is one of the best examples of why poetry needs to be read aloud.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you found that. I have been looking for those recordings forever. The only place I ever found them was the Boston Public Library. His recording of the Chinese Nightingale is my all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Chinese Nightingale a lot, but don't overlook "The Moon is the North Wind's Cookie!"

    ReplyDelete